Why RSLWA wants you to watch CBD ANZAC march from home

0
465
Why RSLWA wants you to watch CBD ANZAC march from home


Eased restrictions mean the Anzac Day Parade through the Perth CBD can go ahead “open slather”, the Returned & Services League of Australia WA Branch says.

When the State was at Level 2 restrictions last month, RSLWA said a continuation would scupper the April 25 parade this year as it allowed no more than 500 people at an outdoor public event.

Assuming WA stays at its current Level 1 restrictions, parade attendees would only need to socially distance, RSLWA chief executive John McCourt said.

But RSLWA is encouraging people who are not family or friends of marchers to watch the live telecast instead.

“We’re not saying ‘don’t come’ but in such difficult circumstances, you’ve got different options,” Mr McCourt said.

Camera IconRSLWA is encouraging people who are not family or friends of marchers to watch the live telecast instead. Credit: Danella Bevis/The West Australian

He said the dawn service at Kings Park remained invitation-only for up to 500 veterans because RSLWA had to make a call during preparations last month, based on logistical considerations.

Meanwhile Anzac commemorations across NSW will return on April 25 for the first time in three years as the state relaxes pandemic health measures.

Veterans Minister David Elliott says Anzac Day this year will again see diggers sharing stories and reminiscing as the government further eases COVID-19 social restrictions on gatherings and crowds.

“This year not only marks the first year since the Australian Defence Force’s withdrawal from Afghanistan,” Mr Elliott said.

“But also the first time since 2019 that veterans will be able to reconnect with mates to attend their annual reunions free of restrictions.”

The dawn service at Kings Park remained invitation-only for up to 500 veterans because RSLWA had to make a call during preparations last month, based on logistical considerations.
Camera IconThe dawn service at Kings Park remained invitation-only for up to 500 veterans because RSLWA had to make a call during preparations last month, based on logistical considerations. Credit: Ross Swanborough/The West Australian

The traditional game of two-up will also be played across pubs and clubs along with full-scale dawn services in Martin Place and a march in Sydney’s CBD.

“Pubs and clubs play an important role on Anzac Day, providing a place for war veterans to gather, reminisce and share the Anzac spirit with their mates and families,” said Hospitality Minister Kevin Andrews.

“This will give an added incentive for people to head to their local,” he noted as economic activity increases across the state.

RSL NSW president Ray James welcomed the government’s announcement and called on veterans of recent Middle East operations to join them in a place of prominence in the Sydney CBD March.



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here