Hey, friends! It’s me, Joanne Gallo, your host of the Mineola Daily. Here are all the most important things to know about what’s happening in town…
First, today’s weather:
Intervals of clouds and sun. High: 69, low: 55.
? Looking for more real estate leads in Mineola? Let us help you reach prospective home buyers and stand out from the competition. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top stories in Mineola today:
- The Board of Trustees of the Village of Mineola has approved a new church and a fitness training business to open in our town. Ceifa Community Church, a Brazilian church, got the greenlight to open on the second floor of 500 Jericho Turnpike between Beebe and Herricks Roads above American Theater Dance Workshops. Home Free Fitness, offering personal one-on-one training, was also approved to open at 250 C Jericho Turnpike, across from the Jericho Terrace. (Mineola American)
- The Village of Mineola is offering a special, monthly pass introductory rate for the new Harrison Avenue parking garage that opened this month in downtown Mineola near the LIRR station. For Mineola residents, a monthly 14-hour day permit costs $60 and a monthly overnight permit is $120. These special rates are in effect through July 15. For more information, contact the Village Clerk’s Office at (516) 746-0750 x221. (Village of Mineola)
- If you are in the market for a new job, whether it’s part-time, full-time or temporary, there are a lot of job opportunities with a minimal commute from Mineola. Customer service specialists in a variety of industries are among the positions available. (Mineola Patch)
From our sponsor:
Today’s newsletter is brought to you in part by Ring, a Patch Brand Partner. Whether you’re working from home or streaming your favorite movies, the new Ring Alarm Pro gives you an internet connection you can count on — while simultaneously keeping your home safe and secure.
To learn more about the innovative security system, or to build your own custom system, you can visit Ring here.
Today in Mineola:
- Science Performance Test: Grades 4 & 8 – Mineola Public Schools. (All Day)
- HS Student Service Center Awards Ceremony – Mineola Public Schools. (7 a.m.)
- HS Spring Concert II – Mineola Public Schools. (7 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Chaminade High School: “A podcast script written by four students has been selected by the NY Federal Reserve for publication in its annual Journal of Future Economists. Luke Moran, Phil Fahey, Lucas Lee, and GianLuca Moscheni, pictured below with Mr. Kevin St. Pierre ’85, wrote about the financial effects of climate change. The High School Fed Challenge is an educational program that aims to encourage high school students to learn more about the world of economics and to prepare for a career in the field.” (Facebook)
- Nassau County Police Department: “#NCPDMugShotMonday: Pictured subjects are wanted Felony and Misdemeanor criminal offenders who reside in, or have committed crimes in Nassau County. These individuals have been arrested for the listed crime(s) and then failed to appear in court and/or follow the mandates of their release. If you have information on the pictured individuals, send us a message or give us a call.” (Facebook)
- St. Aidan School – Williston Park: “It was wonderful to have the band back together at the St. Aidan School Instrumental Spring Concert! Thank you to Mr. Fisher and Mr. Sorrentino from Paul Effman Music Service for their hard work and dedication to our students. We are so fortunate to have so much musical talent in our school!” (Facebook)
- Local 338 RWDSU/UFCW: “The latest issue of the Local 338 newsletter is now available! See what’s new with your union and fellow union members at: https://local338.org/already-a-member/338-news” (Facebook)
- Long Island Council on Alcoholism & Drug Dependence: “LICADD has proudly served Long Island communities for 65 years! If you or a loved one is struggling with substance use, please contact our offices at (516) 747-2606 or (631) 979-1700.” (Facebook)
That’s it for today. I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow with a new update!
— Joanne Gallo
About me: Joanne Gallo is a lifelong resident of Long Island and a writer/editor for 30+ years. After earning a B.A. in Journalism and an M.A. in Writing from NYU, Joanne was an on-staff editor for consumer publications, including Features Editor for Soap Opera Weekly, Senior Editor for Energy Times and Executive Editor for The Johns Hopkins White Papers. Raised in the nearby town of Roslyn, Joanne is happy to call Mineola her home for the past 7 years. She loves arts & entertainment, dining, gardening and all the natural beauty that Long Island has to offer.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Mineola Daily? Contact me at Mineola@Patch.com